Create A Crop Of Medicinal Plants
Opening cultivation of medicinal plants can be an excellent business opportunity and a great income opportunity, in an area where you see high demand from customers.
Drying, Distillation, And Maceration
The plants were designated as “herbs” to indicate that the processes are carried out in the laboratory. In fact, to obtain the properties and use, the plants are subjected to processing such as drying, distillation, and maceration.
The Market For Medicinal Plants
The field of medicinal plants is growing due to the interest of the renewed public in a healthy lifestyle and a balanced diet.
In this context, the start of a business dedicated to the agricultural production of medicinal plants for human health is excellent.
The increase of the internal demand took place in the last year’s reason why 70% of the imports are covered, especially of the countries where the workforce is cheaper.
Given the strong demand, Americans production is prolonged due to competition from abroad.
Despite The Difficulties, a farmer with strong ties to the area has an excellent opportunity to sell the product “made in the USA.”
The term “medicinal plants ” enters into Spanish legislation, as a result of a 1979 law still in force, in which they were legally appointed for the first time.
Derived From Seniority
Naturally, the use of medicinal plants does not begin with the promulgation of the 1973 law, but it is much more rooted in time, where the first reported uses are derived from seniority.
From the agronomic point of view, medicinal herbs are composed of a large and heterogeneous group of plant species that are in turn classified into “medicinal plants,” “aromatic “and “plants of the essence.”
Each medicinal plant has within substances with active ingredients that can be used for many purposes. Within each species that is going to look for another type of dynamic ingredient present, that is biologically active substances in the human body.
If you like history, you know that the first document in which the use of medicinal plants is an Egyptian papyrus dated 2,500 years before Christ.
These molecules belong to chemical classes such as alkaloids, glycosides, gums, tannins, organic acids, enzymes, vitamins, resins, balsams and essential oils.
Depending on the type of drug present, several techniques can be used to extract the principle of use. In truth, many herbs have different active ingredients with different properties, both healing and aromatic.
Given the vast variety, not all medicinal herbs have the same potential from a commercial point of view. Only a small part of the species are known and widely marketed.
However, in a changing market, a diligent entrepreneur must have the opportunity to grow the plants is little known and differentiate from the competition.
A good strategy is to associate a series of traditional niche species of plants little known.
In Europe, there are working 36,000 farms that participate in the cultivation of medicinal plants for a total of more than 200,000 hectares of cultivated land. In the USA, companies are active at approximately 3,000.
To the inexperienced eye, these figures may seem high, while in truth they reveal that the industry is still small and underdeveloped. The companies involved in the cultivation of medicinal plants range from small to large.
The world’s largest producer of medicinal plants in the world is India plays a vital role in many productions. Other crucial countries regarding quantity are China, Nigeria, Argentina, Brazil, Indonesia, and Turkey. At European level, the most active nations are Bulgaria and Germany.
Each plant has the biological characteristics that make its products more accessible in some countries than in others. In the USA, there are about 2 00 species of medicinal plants.
How to start a crop of medicinal plants
- Remember, you can activate a crop of medicinal plants without spending considerable capital if you sell the product to learn the cultivation techniques.
- In fact, before thinking about business projects, it is best to become experts in agriculture; each plant has its ecological characteristics that must be observed in the laboratory from an economic and commercial perspective.
- Once you acquire the necessary technical knowledge, the analysis of the target market and contact companies that might be interested in your products.
- If you live in a suitable area, you can also focus on the direct sale of your products through a direct point of purchase.
- From the bureaucratic point of view, you can choose to open a farm becoming a professional farmer or an empirical farmer. The choice will depend to a large extent on your goals and ambitions for the future.
- For the development of the agricultural sector, Europe and the Spanish regions release a series of specific financing for rural development in our country.